10.29.2013

First Rainy Day

It's Halloween week!  I am so excited, I wish I could dress up everyday.  Had I been more prepared I would have literally dressed up everyday, but I just thought of it now.

I love the rain.  It reminds me of home and makes me want to be cozy with a blanket and a book or a movie.  Yesterday, it worked out great that our day was slow because I brought Coraline to watch with Boss Lady.  I've been telling her about this movie for a long time.  When my nephew watched it a year and a half ago (he was 9ish) it freaked him out.  He kept questioning my sister when she wasn't being fun and asking (seriously, from what I heard) if she was his "other mother."  How this movie is PG I have no clue.
For those of you who have not seen this movie, it is about a little girl that moves with her parents to an old house.  There the parents diligently work on a book and promptly ignore her, tell her to be quite, and other things.  Essentially, they don't spend time with her and want her to be out of their way.  She finds a door in the house that leads to another world.  Same house, except everything is warm and happy.  Her "other mother" and "other father" love her so much, obsess about her, make her amazing dinners, and even have a garden that is of her face.  Hitch in the giddy up, they have buttons for eyes.  Without giving the movie away, because I think you all should see it, it is dark and creepy and not for kids despite it being stop-motion animation, the other parents want Coraline to stay in their world and put buttons on for her eyes.  That is where more darkness enters and means you need to watch it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO3n67BQvh0  Watch the trailer.
When this movie came out, I had a short A-line bob hair cut, and my hair was so black it was blue.  Of course I was stoked.  I looked like Coraline.  My friends boyfriend told me it was fitting because I'm a dark person and since the whole movie was creepy-scary (not dirty old  man creepy) it complemented me.

 While watching this  movie with Boss Lady and Chaos (my coworker you haven't met yet) this tube Coraline crawls through traveling from the real world to the other world brought up some interesting ideas.  As this tube illuminated and grew away from the door, I said, "Vagina."  Initial reaction.  I imagine that is what it might look like to a child passing through the birth canal, if they could see, and it probably isn't blue and purple.  Boss Lady said, "Oh, I was thinking colon, but I can see what you mean."  Then I asked, "Do you think that this is what it looks like, internally, as a penis gets hard?"
To me, this tube is kind of the worst part about the movie.  I don't feel like it fits it in well with the feel of the movie, but at least it brought us entertainment and caused less than critical thinking.

During the movie, Boss Lady told me that there is no time like the present to get the last Halloween riddles up on the board, seeing we had three days to go.  So, for those of you who actually like the riddles, here they are.  The theme is Halloween Monsters.
I did not feel awake at all yesterday while coming up with these bad boys.  Maybe it was my busy hobby filled weekend, the Halloween party I went to, and the fact that it was cold and raining when I got up to go to work (much like today, might I add),  I barely felt creative enough to do them.  I also feel sad.  They are a symbol that my favorite holiday is here and about to be gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment