10.03.2013

The Illusive Horcock

Pretty much one of the greatest stories that was ever told with in the walls of my office was about the great and illusive Horcock.
A young girl (5ish years old) came home from school with a creative homework assignment.  The students were asked to pick two animals, draw what these two animals put together looked like, and then name it.  I think this sounds like a spectacular assignment.  I was picking my head over trying to decide what animals I might choose, but her story continued.
Youngin excitedly picked a horse (what little girl doesn't love horses?) and a peacock and informed her  mother that the animal shall be called a Hor-Cock.  We all know this tiny human has no idea what she had just spoken.  Merging horse and peacock of course would lead to the spectacular name choice, in reality it sounds better than the other option(s).  Needless to say, the mother tried her hardest to keep her shit together and not crack up while telling Youngin that she needed to pick a different name.  How would she explain that Horcock is much too dirty?  Because a whore and a cock generally do go hand in hand, but in this mind of this 5ish year old, it wasn't a prostitute and a man, it was simply a horse and a peacock.
In the end, the new creature was deemed the name Peahorse...or Peaorse, regardless it was not nearly as cool as the first name.  Had I been that child's mother I would have let her creativity run away with her and let her take her Horcock to school.  Maybe that makes me a bad person, but no point in being uptight about the funny things in life.  Kids to say the darnedest things, don't they?

Months and months later, the Horcock story lives on.  I even took the liberty of drawing my own rendition of it.  It hangs right by the door, only staff can see it, and puts a smile on our faces everyday.  It much reminds me of Buckbeak from Harry Potter.

No comments:

Post a Comment